RotterZwam is a young company growing edible mushrooms in the abandoned swimming pool building in Rotterdam. As if that’s not cool enough, using the principles of blue economy, the company grows their mushrooms on used coffee and delivers them directly to their customers, producing zero waste and having a producer-to-customer distance of less than 10 kilometers.
RotterZwam could use some help expanding their production and building on their knowledge and they invite students to contribute to their project.
There is a lot to do, and the activities will be tailored to the needs of the students and company. The possible activities could include:
* Testing coffee grounds before use for Oyster mushroom farming
* Testing coffee husk before use for Oyster mushroom farming
* Testing coffee grounds after use for Oyster mushroom farming
* Testing coffee husk after use for Oyster mushroom farming
* Test different kind of composting [thermophilic, tiger worm, bokashi]
* Specifying nutrient contents and advising on different ways of composting [or no composting]
* Check for impact of different ingredients in the substrate
* Check nutrient en toxicity levels in [different] coffee grounds
* Good communication skills
* Be knowledgeable on topic
* Interested in urban farming
* Interested in making new connections [between urban and traditional farming]
If you are seriously interested in the above mentioned topics, send your CV and motivation letter to (Mr) Siemen Cox at email@example.com.